Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket and read by Tim Curry



Summary from Goodreads:
Dear Reader,

Like handshakes, house pets, or raw carrots, many things are preferable when not slippery. Unfortunately, in this miserable volume, I am afraid that Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire run into more than their fair share of slipperiness during their harrowing journey up--and down--a range of strange and distressing mountains.

In order to spare you any further repulsion, it would be best not to mention any of the unpleasant details of this story, particularly a secret message, a toboggan, a deceitful map, a swarm of snow gnats, a scheming villain, a troupe of organized youngsters, a covered casserole dish, and a surprising survivor of a terrible fire.

Unfortunately, I have dedicated my life to researching and recording the sad tale of the Baudelaire orphans. There is no reason for you to dedicate your-self to such things, and you might instead dedicate yourself to letting this slippery book slip from your hands into a nearby trash receptacle, or deep pit.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

Review:
I loved this installment. For starters, the Baudelaires are separated. Count Olaf and his troop have poor Sunny. And the older siblings are on a mission to save her. Too bad, they are stuck, climbing a mountain by foot (while Olaf has a caravan). Also, there’s terrible attacking insects, a reunion with a terrible character from Prufrock Preparatory School, another awful song to get stuck in everyone’s head, and lots of other obstacles that get in the way of the rescue.
The mystery is so good too. The orphans are also on the look out for the VFD headquarters, where they are hoping to get more information about VFD, their parents, and the fire that allegedly killed their parents. Another Quagmire is introduced. There’s secret passages, fires, secret code smoke, overheard plans, traps for Esme, and a lot of discovered clues in this book.
I’m loving Sunny more and more. She’s growing into such an interesting character. I love that she’s not a baby any more. And that a lot more of her words are understandable to me. Though, I found it so terrible that none of the troop could understand her at all. They really showed no empathy or understanding at all. Though, I guess the bad guys aren’t supposed to. Also, I love that Sunny is interested in cooking. Her success with the fish reminded me a lot of the show Chopped.
This one is full of adventure and action. I literally could not stop listening to it. I also loved that there’s a bit of romantic interest for Violet. It’s not just Sunny who’s growing up quickly.
The kids are growing up, the mystery is getting better, the adventures are scarier, and everyone is becoming so much tougher, smarter, and braver. I love that this is a series where the characters grow, change, and learn over time. It’s such a treat to read these. I give this one a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment