Thursday, June 29, 2017

A Good Week in Books (164) - ALA 2017 Edition


My life is a little chaotic at the moment. It’s my busy season at work. I just got back from ALA Annual (which was amazing). And I’m moving in with my boyfriend on Saturday. I’m super behind in my book reviews. I might get to them now, or I might get to them after I move.  But, I have 3 read books looking at me right now, laying on the guilt…
While I was away, I received 2 ARC’s (Thanks, Penguin!). I also received 3 books for review from Macmillan.
My regular haul:



Genuine Fraud
by E. Lockhart (ARC)
The Fashion Committee by Susan Juby (ARC)
Compass South by Hope Larson and illustrated by Rebecca Mock
Knife’s Edge by Hope Larson and illustrated by Rebecca Mock
Bubbles by Abby Cooper
I also picked up some books at ALA. I worked extra hard to not take home too many books because a) I’m moving on Saturday and already have 20+ boxes of books packed up, b) I needed them all to fit in my suitcase and one carry on, and c) I have a book problem. I could have easily have brought home twice or three times as many as I did…so, I did a relatively good job.
I did come home with a nice amount though. Trying not to pick up books where people are just handing you them for free is probably like what an alcoholic feels like at an open bar. A lot of them are signed too. I kept happening upon signings with short lines and I was like, “why not?” Though, I did intentionally wait in a long line for 2 authors: Angie Thomas (The Hate U Give) and Kristin Cashore (Jane, Unlimited). Most of time though, during my 4 days at ALA, was spent going to panels/sessions. Most of those dealt with things like library leadership, the future of libraries, technology for children, etc. Though, I did attend Booklist’s 50 Years of YA panel (with several YA authors in attendance). And I went to a middle grade panel about girls being funny writers, celebrating the book Funny Girl. Really, it was a conference to celebrate books, reading, and libraries. What could be better?
Any way, here’s my ALA haul:

The Glass Town Game by Catherynne M. Valente (ARC)
Scythe by Neal Shusterman
When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
Disappeared by Francisco X. Stork (ARC-Signed)
Jane, Unlimited by Kristin Cashore (ARC)
The Inquisitor’s Tale by Adam Gidwitz and illustrated by Hatem Aly (Signed by author and illustrator)
If I was Your Girl by Meredith Russo (signed)
She, Myself, and I by Emma Young (ARC)
Little and Lion by Brandy Colbert (ARC)
There’s Someone inside your House by Stephanie Perkins (ARC)
Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart (ARC –I now have 2, and will give one away soon!)
Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu (ARC)
Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moira Fowley-Doyle (ARC)
The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee
Nothing by Annie Barrows (ARC)
Frankie by Shivaun Plozza (ARC)
Funny Girl edited by Betsy Bird (Signed)
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (Signed)
The Inevitable Victorian Thing by E.K. Johnston (ARC)
Before She Ignites by Jodi Meadows (ARC)
Midnight Dance by Nikki Katz (ARC)
The Lost Girl of Astor Street by Stephanie Morrill
Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust (ARC)
At least 5 of those are books I’ve mentioned in my Waiting on Wednesday posts. Seriously, these books are so awesome. I both hate myself for being unable to resist them, and love myself because think of all the reading I have ahead!
How was your week in books?

No comments:

Post a Comment