Thursday, June 8, 2017

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and read by Stephen Fry



Description on Goodreads:


Seconds before Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor.

Together, this dynamic pair began a journey through space aided by a galaxyful of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed, three-armed, ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian (formerly Tricia McMillan), Zaphod’s girlfriend, whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; and Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student obsessed with the disappearance of all the ballpoint pens he’s bought over the years.

Where are these pens? Why are we born? Why do we die? For all the answers, stick your thumb to the stars!
Review:

So, technically, this is a re-read. However, the last I read this was about half my life ago! How crazy is that? It’s been on my mind lately because my boyfriend is obsessed with it. (He literally owns a towel that has the words, “Don’t Panic,” typed on it. That, and I loved reading the reviews for these books over at one of my favorite blogs not that long ago (Lunar Rainbows Reviews). Mix that with a dire need for something funny and not too dark to listen to on my way to work in the mornings, and well, it was only a matter of time.
I’m also extraordinarily lucky because my library (where I work) had a copy on audio, read by Stephen Fry. Stephen Fry was an amazing audio book reader. Amazing! I’m not sure I’d have laughed so strongly if it were read by anyone else. There was one time where I had to pull over because I was crying from laughter and I didn’t want to get into an accident. (It was a scene involving a falling whale and a pot of petunias, and even now thinking about it, makes me laugh).
This may be the funniest book I have ever read. So much of it is in the timing. Reading/listening to it was bit like what I’d imagine getting a book written by the best stand-up comedian would be like. And mix that with some awesome Star Wars level science fiction, a little philosophy, a manically depressed robot, very intelligent rodents, super computers, and a lot of adventure and you get this rather remarkable book.
I want to re-watch the movie now. And read the rest of the series. I already requested the next audio book, though sadly it’s not read by Stephen Fry. I love the idea of going to work every morning after having laughed for a good straight 20 minutes beforehand. It does wonders for your day.
I first read this book when I was 15, and I hope I appreciated it then as much as I do now. It’s not necessarily a YA novel, but it’s just a really great novel. Certainly a teen or an adult would enjoy it. If you need a good laugh, read this! I give it a 10/10.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha oh man, I loved reading your review Nori^^ You made me laugh too referencing that bit with the whale XD I loved listening to this SO MUCH on my commute to and from work. I laughed out loud so many times and it was just the perfect way to relax after work!

    I've never seen the movie but I really need to! The rest of the audiobooks at my library were narrated by Martin Freeman and even though I love him, I was bummed out that Stephen Fry wasn't returning because he's so freaking awesome! Martin Freeman grew on me though and I ended up loving him too!

    Great review my friend and thanks for the shoutout xx

    ReplyDelete